Reduce fire risks for incinerators and waste handling systems with the 2014 edition of NFPA 82.
Turn to NFPA 82: Standard on Incinerators and Waste and Linen Handling Systems and Equipmentfor the fire-safe installation and use of:
- Waste storage rooms
- Waste, linen and laundry handling systems
The 2014 edition of this document uses the terms "fire resistance rating" and "fire protection rating" in alignment with their usage in other NFPA® documents. In addition, all uses of "loading," "service opening" and "service loading" have been changed to "intake" to match real-world industry usage.
Other updates to NFPA 82 include:
- A definition for a "chute discharge door" has been added to differentiate between the types of doors used in chute operations.
- To reflect current practice, the use of a fire damper has been added in lieu of a fire door. (The fire damper provides the same level of protection, but features a much more effective seal at the opening and has fewer maintenance concerns.)
- The fire protection rating for the openings in the chute enclosure are consistent with other changes included in this edition.
- Requirements for external-fed waste compactors have been expanded by adding a definition to clarify how an external waste compactor differs from a waste compactor. Also, specific requirements have been added to Chapter 8 to address the main hazard of external waste compactors: the risk of fire and smoke spreading from the compactor back into the building.
- Requirements for decommissioning a chute have been added to give users guidance on removing the chute door while maintaining the rating of the chute enclosure.
If you're a facility owner or manager, waste or linen chute manufacturer, designer, insurer or AHJ, make sure you have the latest version of NFPA 82. Order your copy today. (Softbound, 25 pp., 2014)