The 2014 NFPA 780 responds to industry developments with added coverage of new topics to increase protection against dangerous lightning hazards.
Fully updated to reflect the latest protection methods, devices, and safety challenges, the 2014 NFPA 780: Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems is essential for designers, installers, insurance professionals, AHJs, and anyone responsible for protecting lives and property from fire and related dangers associated with lightning events.
Be prepared to improve safety with vital changes and improved organization, including:
- Better alignment of requirements for strike termination devices
- Consolidation of bonding requirements
- New section addresses the use of fixed metal objects on buildings that have movable or rotating metal components, such as construction cranes, wind socks, observatories/telescopes, traffic cameras, radar dishes, photovoltaic arrays, and opening skylights.
- New section addresses retroactivity for NFPA 780.
- New Chapter 11 presents lightning protection criteria and guidance for airfield lighting circuits. Aligned with federal aviation requirements, it provides a thorough look at design and installation of lightning protection systems to afford protection to these open areas.
- In response to the continuing demand for renewable and alternative energy sources, a new chapter addresses lightning protection systems when solar systems and arrays are provided.
- The requirements pertaining to catenary systems have been reviewed and significant annex material provided to clarify computations for applications with metal or wood poles.
Make sure your knowledge is up-to-code so you're fully prepared to reduce lightning risks. Trust your jobs to the 2014 NFPA 780. (Softbound, 84 pp., 2014)
Author: Richard Roux
New commentary and a wealth of color visuals make the 2014 NFPA 780 Handbook essential for designers, engineers, and installers.
The lightning protection standard of care has changed. To help you understand the issues affecting system installation and compliance, NFPA 780: Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems Handbook has been updated with the latest requirements plus new expert commentary on more topics -- including electrical issues not covered in the National Electrical Code® (NEC®). Fully illustrated with more than 45 new color photos and graphs, the Handbook helps you apply the expanded provisions correctly.
The NFPA 780 Handbook includes the full text of the Standard, new explanations, and full-color imagery.
- Gain electronic access to the complete 2014 NFPA 780 text with comprehensive requirements for reducing hazards associated with lightning.
- Hyperlinked icons take you to commentary that answers questions and helps you avoid oversights. Link directly to explanations written by experts with in-depth knowledge of NFPA 780.
- Link to exclusive full-color images, tables, figures, and diagrams not in the Standard.
- Get the big picture with a dedicated Table of Contents for sections with commentary.
- Find new chapter introductions only in the Handbook.
- Save time with instant searches and interactive PDF functionality.
The 2014 NFPA 780 Handbook is essential for designers, installers, insurance professionals, and AHJs.
Improve your understanding and ability to mitigate fire risk and related hazards associated with lightning strikes. (PDF, Approx. 164 pp., 2014)