Protect buildings -- and their owners -- and pass inspections with fireplaces and chimneys that comply with NFPA 211.
Ensure safe and professional fireplace and chimney design, installation, and maintenance. NFPA 211: Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances provides consensus-based guidelines for construction projects involving chimneys, fireplaces, venting systems, and solid fuel-burning appliances. Comprehensive coverage addresses everything from selection of equipment and installation to inspection and maintenance in residential properties and industrial facilities.
Changes in the 2016 edition improve the integrity of installations and offer more guidance on fire safety:
- New provision for a physical barrier for insulation installed close to a chimney will help prevent fires in the insulation.
- Metal clips (versus plastic) are now required on duct work to provide proper structural support.
- Clarified language emphasizes that Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) accessories for fireplaces should be sought out before installing non-OEM accessories for maintenance of existing fireplaces.
- Other new requirements on fireplace accessories are relevant for inspections and special experts who investigate fires involving fireplaces or who testify in depositions.
- New requirement for a maximum run of a duct harmonizes NFPA 211 with other standards.
NFPA 211 continues to evolve based on new experience and lessons learned.
That's why the latest edition is essential for contractors, installers, designers, engineers, and code officials, along with anyone who investigates chimney fires. (Softbound, Approx. 60 pp., 2016)